Resource Person: Prof. Sandra Friedman, CNM, MSN
Assistant Clinical Professor, RN-BSN Completion Department, Obstetrics & Gynaecology
College of Nursing & Health Professionals, Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA
The Global Nursing Partnership, in collaboration with Akal College of Nursing, Eternal University, Drexel University, Texas Woman’s University, and New York University, organized a transformative workshop on Obstetrics & Gynaecology. This workshop encompassed various crucial aspects, including Antepartum, Postpartum, Labor & Delivery, Newborn Care, and Obstetrical Complications. Participants gained valuable insights, hands-on skill training, and practical demonstrations to enhance their proficiency in providing exceptional care within this specialized field.
The Obstetrics & Gynaecology workshop was a highly anticipated event within the Global Nursing Partnership initiative. Participants eagerly engaged with expert facilitators to delve into the intricacies of antepartum, postpartum, labor and delivery, newborn care, and obstetrical complications. Through a combination of theoretical discussions, hands-on skill training, and live demonstrations, nursing professionals were equipped with the tools to deliver comprehensive care to expectant mothers and their infants.
Key Topics Covered and Hands-On Skill Training:
- Antepartum Care: The workshop began by emphasizing the significance of antepartum care, covering topics such as prenatal assessments, maternal health monitoring, nutrition, and fetal development. Participants acquired practical skills to perform comprehensive antepartum assessments and provide essential guidance for ensuring a healthy pregnancy.
- Labor & Delivery: Participants received in-depth insights into the stages of labor and delivery. Through interactive discussions and hands-on training, they learned about effective pain management techniques, comfort measures, and the importance of continuous support during childbirth. Practical demonstrations of delivery techniques further enhanced their understanding of this critical phase.
- Postpartum Care: The workshop dedicated significant attention to postpartum care, recognizing its importance in ensuring the well-being of both mother and infant. Participants explored topics such as maternal and infant assessments, breastfeeding support, emotional well-being, and postpartum complications. Hands-on skill training and demonstrations helped them develop proficiency in addressing postpartum challenges and fostering a smooth transition into motherhood.
- Newborn Care: Understanding the unique needs of newborns, the workshop covered essential aspects of newborn care. Participants received hands-on training in various newborn assessments, temperature regulation, feeding techniques, and fostering bonding between the newborn and parents. Practical demonstrations of basic newborn resuscitation techniques equipped participants to respond effectively in critical situations.
- Obstetrical Complications: The workshop provided valuable knowledge and skills to manage obstetrical complications. Participants learned to recognize and respond to emergencies such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, fetal distress, and postpartum hemorrhage. Interactive discussions and case studies enabled them to develop critical thinking skills and apply appropriate interventions to ensure optimal outcomes for both mother and baby.
Impact and Participant Experience:
The Obstetrics & Gynaecology workshop left a profound impact on the participants, enriching their understanding and competence in providing specialized care. The combination of theoretical knowledge, hands-on skill training, and practical demonstrations empowered nursing professionals to deliver comprehensive care throughout the obstetric and gynaecological continuum.
Participants gained the confidence to assess and manage antepartum and postpartum care, support women during labor and delivery, and respond effectively to obstetrical complications. The skills acquired during the workshop will undoubtedly improve the quality of care provided by these nursing professionals, positively impacting the health and well-being of mothers and newborns under their supervision.
The Obstetrics & Gynaecology workshop organized under the Global Nursing Partnership showcased the commitment to excellence in nursing education and professional development. Mr. Muthu Kumaran, Global Partnership Coordinator, Akal College of Nursing has coordinated the workshop and Dr. Jill B. Derstine & Dr. Marylou from Drexel University were moderated the sessions. Participants immersed themselves in a transformative learning experience, acquiring crucial knowledge, honing their skills, and expanding their capacity to provide exceptional care within the realm of obstetrics and gynaecology. Through this workshop, the Global Nursing Partnership continues to elevate the standard of nursing practice, ensuring the well-being of expectant mothers, newborns, and their families.